Saturday, September 03, 2005

Some Saturday afternoon thoughts...

We had the Family Visitation at the Oak Crest Funeral Home on Thursday night, and I have come to the realization that these last for no more than two hours because someone has calculated that this is the exact amount of time that anyone can stand to feel awkward. You are all visiting, talking about kids, grandkids, etc., and trying to ignore the fact, more or less, that the deceased is there in the room with you. It was a little bit easier in our case, because we had decided to have a closed casket. Jan’s mom had lost so much weight toward the end of her life, and most of the family had not seen her in years, so it was an easy decision. The funeral was Friday morning at graveside, and was a beautiful service. Jan’s cousin’s husband, Joe Moore performed the service, and he, his brother, and four of his daughters sang.



Other than the fire ants, gnats and oppressive heat it was wonderful. I am very thankful for those who came to share in this moment of sadness with Jan and the family.

We have had visits from so many people that we have lost count. I mentioned to some of the family who were here after the funeral that all denominations respond to death in similar fashion, but Baptists have refined the bringing and sharing of food to an art form! I think that we are going to have to package some of the excess up and see if it can be used at the Center for feeding some of the evacuees from New Orleans. We are truly blessed to have so many wonderful friends that love us so much to do this for us. Jan is feeling a lot better, and continues to heal from her surgery, and she is growing stronger daily, ready to face the next challenges that are to come. We know that God has brought us safely this far, and has plans for us, and trust that He will guide us through, wherever the path might lead.

Staci sent Jan a card, and in it Staci said that she knew that God was in control, because He chose to take Granny at this time, so that Jan would be free from the worry of caring for her mother so that she could focus on herself and her own healing in the months to come.

I am often floored by the perspective that my children are able to give me, and I know that it is not her mother and I that have given them the ability to so trust God and seek him, but all of our Church Family, who have invested into their lives for these many years, and that blessing is the best of all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that I've not said anything about your week sooner. Do know that I have lifted you guys up in prayer this week. I know it's been tough, but you are correct that God will see you through this. You guys are a special family and I've really enjoyed getting you know you better, especially Scott, as he's in my class this year. Take care, Alan.