Monday, October 19, 2009

Buying online.... and why it sucks.


There is something inherently wrong with ordering tickets online. I just ordered a ticket for Scott for a concert he wanted to go to in Dallas in a couple of weeks. I ordered it from an online service that I will not identify, but let's call them Picketfaster. The "price" of the ticket was $22. Once I got in and pulled it up to order it, I was told that there was a $6 "convenience" fee to be paid, plus some other amount that I failed to read completely. I thought to myself, OK, this is where the Picketfaster folks make their money, I am cool with that. So we are at $30 for the ticket. Then the seriously stupid stuff started. I was asked if I wanted to print the ticket out on-line, "RECOMMENDED" it said. This would cost an additional $2.50, or I could opt to have them mail it to me for no charge. OK, in what parallel universe does that makes sense? I can print the ticket out myself, thus creating less work for anyone else, but I have to pay extra to do so? Ummmmm, no. Moving on through the process, I enter my credit card info, hit the complete purchase button and before I hit "Accept" I notice that there is now a 5.40 "Order processing fee". what the heck was the previous $6 "convenience" fee for then? Unavoidable I suppose, so I hit "accept", then I am asked if I want the "recommended" insurance on the tickets, (in the event they are lost in the mail, I suppose) for an additional $7. (Attention Picketfaster - If I fail to receive my tickets, I will be instructing my bank to deny payment on the credit card purchase - that is all the insurance I need.) At this point I am saying no to everything, finish up the transaction, and I am told that they will be mailing me my $22 ticket and charging me $36.50 for the transaction. That is a 66% markup on the price of the ticket which, even with paying someone to stuff a ticket in the envelope and slap on some postage, seems like an unbelievable margin.

5 comments:

TheCrazySquirrel said...

Wow. 5 months ad 14 days since your last post, and the best you can come up with is complaining about Ticketmaster's prices on a ticket that Scott should have bought himself?

I'm so disappointed.

TheCrazySquirrel said...

Also, I would like to make reference to this post.

mark said...

No comment as the lack of posting- it's been even longer for me. You just happen to show up in my rss feed. Anyway...
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2009/09/podcast_the_economics_of_ticke.html

Papa Steve said...

@cliff - I suppose I could just post a bunch of links and call it a blog post, if that would make you happy.

@mark - thanks for the link.

TheCrazySquirrel said...

That would make me very happy indeed. As would a half gallon of ice cream....mmmmmmmmmm....rocky road....